- Harvey Weinstein’s lawyers asked for the former media mogul to be allowed to change his outfit.
- Weinstein needed suspenders for the remainder of the case, they argued on Wednesday.
- His lawyers said that his pants keep falling down, and Judge Lisa Lench obliged the request.
Lawyers representing Harvey Weinstein in his Los Angeles trial on criminal rape charges have asked a judge to allow the former mogul to sport suspenders, arguing that their client needs some assistance keeping his pants on in the courtroom.
The off-kilter moment happened on Wednesday. During a break between witnesses, Weinstein’s attorney Mark Werksman asked Judge Lisa Lench for Weinstein to be allowed to wear suspenders to court because his pants keep falling down.
Lench obliged, according to trial pool reports, saying that she’d allow it going forward if the request complied with Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department rules. LASD did not immediately respond to Insider’s request for comment.
Weinstein pleaded not guilty to 11 sexual assault counts in a Los Angeles court on July 21, 2021, and his current trial deals with allegations from five women, which he has denied.
On Wednesday, jurors heard witnesses including a former Weinstein assistant testifying about when they met and interacted with Jane Doe 2, who had testified about Weinstein assaulting her at a Beverly Hills hotel in 2013.
On Monday, Weinstein’s attorney Alan Jackson removed his jacket in a courtroom demonstration, telling the accuser sitting in front of him that he “wouldn’t go any further.” Various accusers have testified about the fear they felt during incidents with Weinstein, with several accusers saying that Weinstein forcefully disrobed and exposed himself.
Before the trial, Weinstein’s lawyers had said that their client’s health was declining in a county jail. Last year, Weinstein’s lawyers requested for him to undergo eye surgery and dental surgery, and during jury selection, his legal team said they were worried about him dropping dead.
Weinstein was handed a 23-year prison sentence in New York after a New York jury found him guilty in 2020 of third-degree rape and forcible sexual assault of two women, and could face an additional 135 years in prison if convicted in Los Angeles.